My first recipe -- Tamarind rice

|

Pulihora is an authentic andhra recipe made of rice. It is commonly known as tamarind rice. You can feel the sour, tangy, spicy taste all in one wonderful dish. Pulihora is made in difference varities (rice, ravva, lemon, mango).



Ingredients

2 cups cooked rice
1 cup tamarind paste (thick pulp)

6-8 whole dry red chillies
2 Tbsp urad dal
2 Tbsp channa dal
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1/4th cup peanuts
couple of pinches of hing
2 Tbsp turmeric powder
6-8 green chillies
Curry leaves (fist full)
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sesame seeds (toasted and powdered)
Salt to tast

Procedure

Heat oil in a pan on medium flame, add urad dal, channa dal, peanuts, whole red chilles and fry till light golden brown. Add mustard seeds, hing and fry till mustard seeds start to crackle. Add green chillies, curry leaves, turmeric, tamarind pulp, salt and cook for 10-12 mins on medium flame. When the mixture becomes thick, turn off the heat. Add rice and sesame seeds powder and mix well. Adjust the seasoning and serve.

Notes and tips

Sesame seeds powder is optional. You can add ginger also. Add it along with green chillies and curry leaves. If you are allergic to peanuts you can substitiue with cashewnuts. The rice should not become too soft, each grain of the cooked rice should be seperate and rice should be cold. I usually cook rice for pulihora in a rice cooker and spread it in a plate to cool.

source: Veggiecookbook.com

I love this recipe. I always ask my mom to cook it. This time I cooked it with the help of my mom. It did turn out good.

Modifications:

I have changed the recipe, I didn't use urad and Channa Dal (I already have two fillings in teeth and no reason to increase them). I don't like asafoetida (hing) but I have added ginger. And don't add the rice to the seasoned tamarind paste, but add seasoned tamarind paste to the rice. mix slowly in large bowl.

Tips:

After you have cooked rice, add a pinch of turmeric to the hot rice, this will enhance the color of the rice and add a few curry leaves too for the flavor. Add lemon juice if you want more sourness while eating. I personally like it with curd but one could eat it by itself.




6 comments:

Raphael said...

is it a goan cuisine item?
looks yummy!

Bobby said...

not Goan -- south Indian.
Try it! You will love it!

Kishor Cariappa said...

In Karnataka, it is called Puliogre. Now you get instant mix...cook rice and mix with the paste...dish is ready!

Bobby said...

yea!Kishore
I know of the ready to eat packet!
The taste sucks! its like as though I have burned the whole recipe in some fire oven!

Jet Driver said...

Look awesome!
Will give it a try this week.

JD

Gill - That British Woman said...

it will be too spicy for me.......

Gill in Canada