Imposter Syndrome whilst shopping...

|

When you are fifty, and a grandparent you simply become the most messiest person on the face of earth..yup I am talking of my parents! Mom and Dad all of a sudden realized that their new-born grandson requires a sweater for this winter and they want to make sure that they get him his first winter gear.
So, by evening I find myself in Sana Fashions, holding a basket and perhaps looking like a dog who is suffering from claustrophobia - my mom has decided to see everything that fits her grandson and is busy imagining him in them while hogging brains of two salesmen all the time talking to Dad on mobile, who is struck in traffic jam...telling him the color, texture etc...
She was seeking my opinion too, I asked her to call Sis instead of pestering me! My attention drifted as an Indian mother (faux-jeune) and her daughter (some 13-15) entered into the row!
They too were shopping some winter clothes and when I heard English accent of that daughter - it was American - I was impressed...on quiet observation of her accent, she was trying to speak like Americans - now why would someone want to do such a thing?
You are an Indian - not an American - you simply don't need to copy their accent! That would mean self disrespect - one more thing, one must encourage people to speak in their mother language
Take my family for example, apart from Telugu which is our mother language (and also the largest spoken language of India, after Hindi)
I know: Hindi, French, Gujarati, English
Mom knows: Hindi, English, bit of Tamil
Dad knows: Hindi, Sanskrit, French n English
Sis knows: Hindi, English and Gujarati
despite this we never anything speak other than Telugu in day today life, and when we talk the other languages all we bother is a correct pronunciation and grammar.
Many Indian parents think it is fashionable to speak English (with grammatical and pronunciation mistakes that give me suicidal thoughts) with their kids but they don't understand how stupid they are...use English when needed but not for everything!
English is essential when in interaction with other people who doesn't know your mother tongue!
WHY am I blabbering all this? SPEAK in your language - your mother tongue, because every 2 weeks one language dies - it should not be your mother tongue! Got it! So speak it!



And yes getting back to shopping, we got a nice cute dark green sewn sweater, a skull cap and some socks...after a hell of 2 hrs n 45 mins, I am out of a cloth cage!

written on Dec 9Th - 11pm


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you have a complex, brother.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue with your
site in internet explorer, could test this? IE nonetheless is the market chief and a
good component of people will leave out your wonderful writing
because of this problem.
My webpage - manchester united transfer news 2008

Anonymous said...

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This piece of writing posted at this web page is genuinely nice.
My web site > liverpool fc transfer rumours news