Racial Discrimination....

|

There is a hotel nearby, I knew the owner pretty well because he is a north Indian and I know his mother tounge well. We talk in his mother tongue..the normal chit-chat...

So I went today, and I gave my order and waited for the parcels to arrive. Meanwhile, I asked how much it costed me, and he said Rs 36. I gave him a Rs 100 currency note and he gave me back Rs 14.

Then he asked me how much I gave, I said "Rs 100" and he gave me the needed Rs. 50. And went back to counting his money. Then he looked at and started shouting in his language "Kaminey!(louser)You gave only Rs. 50! Give back my Rs. 50!!" I was shocked and politely asked him to check again! He wasn't no way listening to me!

In the mean time, men gathered around: The owner, went on shouting that I cheated on him! I openly asked him to take back Rs.50 if he wants, but I challenged him, I will show my Rs 100 note.

Taken aback, he said that he didn't need my money and insulted that my race itself is a cheating one! And over the decades, he had seen so may people like me!...then continued to the expletives (as if he only knew)

Lucky for him as he said that in his mother tongue! Had he had said that in the local language, the consequences would have been dire!
I collected my parcels in silence and left! Silent? NO way! My mind was screaming! But then...I remembered the famous lines of Wole Soyinka:
"Silence. Silenced transmission of
Pressurized good-breeding."

Yes! I sighed! Pressurized good breeding!
But for the first time in my life, I was identified with a race...for the first time...I was discriminated of my birth! And even now, after a busy day, my mind is still numb!

(For clarity: I am a South Indian and the owner is a North Indian)

8 comments:

Being Pramoda... said...

hey..that's something rubbish i would call.. really, very immature and unfair..

yaa..similar kind of descriminations are being experienced by many ppl these days..it should change..

dont worry bobby..every thing will be fine..take care.

Psych Babbler said...

Yep...there's enough racial discrimination within Indians and yet nothing is done about it. But a big hue and cry takes place if there is even an inkling that someone outside the country does it to Indians. I reckon Indians need to clean up the shit within India before bothering about other countries...

I have also been discriminated against by Indians (not so overtly though) but have never been discriminated by people of Anglo-Saxon backgrounds so far...

Anonymous said...

Hello are using Wordpress for your site platform?
I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my own.
Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Also visit my web page ... latest transfer news soccer summer 2010

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I'm hoping to give something back and aid others like
you helped me.

Also visit my homepage :: interlocing garage flooring

Anonymous said...

This information is priceless. When can I find out more?

Here is my web site: skin tags

Anonymous said...

Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I will
definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
I'm confident they'll be benefited from this website.



Take a look at my webpage find

Anonymous said...

Quality articles is the important to invite the viewers to
visit the website, that's what this web site is providing.

Also visit my web site Found Here

Anonymous said...

Honda
Mobil Honda
Mobil Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC A/T
Mobil Honda Buat Keluarga
Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC A/T CIVIC 1.8 AT
Honda Mobil
Mobil Terbaru Honda
Honda Accord
Mobil Honda
Mobil Honda All New Civic 2.0 i-VTEC A/T
Mobil Honda Accord VTi 2.4 A/T
Mobil Honda Accord VTi 2.4 A/T
Mobil Honda Accord VTi-L 2.4 A/T
Honda Accord VTi 2.4 A/T
Mobil Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC A/T CRV 2.0 Automatic
Mobil Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC A/T CRV 2.0 Automatic
Mobil Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC A/T
Mobil Honda CR-V